Name:
Sean Buckner
Philosophy Statement:

As I begin the formative process of becoming a professional archivist, I often reflect on whether or not I am actually an archivist at heart.  Is this my “true calling?”  I learned in my Understanding Records and Archives: Principles and Practices course about what the archival field entails and, in general terms, what the archivist does, but what exactly makes an effective archivist?  What personal traits and skills do all good archivists have in common?  Have I been blessed with these “archival genes” and, given the opportunity, will I find the work fulfilling and invigorating?  The answers to these questions are gradually becoming more apparent.

I believe the basic objective of any archives, or library or museum for that matter, is to organize and give order to information so as to make it accessible to the patron today and available to the generations of tomorrow.  I love organizing things and I pay attention to details, one of my strengths.

Digital curation and/or digital preservation are where my current interests lie, but I appreciate the opportunity to work with physical materials, move stacks of boxes, sort through papers, and appraise their contents. As a linguist and student of Arabic, I am fascinated by the treasure trove of documents, publications, and communications collected by the late Dr. Suleiman.  I feel that I am becoming intimately connected to his collection and the time passes quickly.  It’s a good feeling.

Email:
seanbuck@umich.edu
Portfolio: