Name:
Eve Neiger
Philosophy Statement:

My experience as an artist and researcher has fostered a lifelong interest in historic photographs and the personal stories they reveal. As an visual media archivist and preservation specialist my goal is to increase the public’s exposure to the valuable information stored in archives and special collections by increasing awareness, enabling access, and preserving archival material for future users. Outreach programs and exhibits are increasingly important in drawing the community into a collection and keeping the material relevant in a changing society. Additionally, web-based database technology and new digitization practices have increased the possibilities for user outreach. By applying my background in graphic design to archive and library outreach programs, I can combine my knowledge of the collection with the design skills necessary to create accessible content.

Through cataloging work at Harvard Library’s Weissman Preservation Center I have learned the best practices for description and arrangement of historic photographs. By focusing on contextual description I added valuable information to image records making photographs in Harvard’s collections more accessible. I worked with various archival formats and content standards to create descriptive data that is consistent and readable across library platforms. Once detailed catalog records are linked with digital surrogates, remote researchers will have access to the material. I have also worked with conservation staff on a condition survey to identify and record the salted-paper prints in Harvard’s collections. Through this project I have gained important photograph identification and assessment skills that can be applied to collection management and cataloging.

Increasing access to information, especially the contents of the nation’s archives, is critical to encouraging historical literacy. In this respect, I believe online collections of archival photographs can easily act as a gateway to a more traditional study of political and cultural history. In order to keep history relevant and accessible to current and future generations it will be essential to use images to bring life to written history. To ensure that this is possible, I can help preserve the visual historical record by applying my background in design and research to my growing skills in archival science and preservation administration.

Email:
eneiger@umich.edu
Portfolio: